Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Turning Down Offers/Invitations/Suggestions/Requests

No is a complete sentence. Oddly, we often want to explain things beyond "no". So, if you are asked to do something, join something, or accept something that is not of interest, consider these options for saying "no" kindly, without justification or too much explanation:
1) "No, thank you."
2) "While you are kind to ask, that's not a good fit for my schedule right now."
3) "You are nice to think of me, and I appreciate that even though I won't be attending. Enjoy it!"

And then move on!

Notice there is no "I'm sorry" or "I can't", or "I'm too busy". Turning down offers/suggestions/invitations/requests need not be burdensome or bothersome. Being direct, clear and kind gets you to that complete sentence you can feel proud of!

No comments: